How mentMAINZ operates
“What I benefited most from as a mentee is that I have greatly expanded my network in the scientific community through my mentor, and correspondingly got opportunities for scientific collaborations. Furthermore, triggered by discussions in the group coaching sessions, I started thinking more often about things like career plans, life-work balance, etc. This is helpful in situations of life transition, or when making important decisions. Finally, as an international student, it was also a very good experience for me to work/discuss together with other German students and looking at things/life from a different perspective.”H., MAINZ PhD student, mentMAINZ mentee
The mentMAINZ mentoring program embeds a 12-month mentoring relationship between mentee and mentor in an 18-month process environment.
Within the mentoring relationship, mentMAINZ asks for 4 personal meetings between the mentee and his or her mentor.
The process environment is designed to frame a mentee´s orientation and development and to offer impulses and opportunities for reflection, in order to secure the harvest. The process environment is provided through mentMAINZ mentee coaching and individual mentee counseling.
The mentee groups start every January.
The Mentee Start Coaching in January helps all mentees to gain clarity with regards to
- the decision about which potential field of the professional career should be the focus of the mentoring.
- the decision about where the mentor should come from.
Within the first 6 months, the Mentee Coaching Sessions are aimed at empowering all mentees to
- search for and contact a potential mentor.
- start the mentoring relationship and to construct it sustainably.
Once the mentoring relationship has been established, reflecting on discussed topics and planning desired outcomes of the mentoring is enhanced in a mid-term Mentee Balance Coaching.
At the end of the mentoring relationship, final reflection and securing the qualification is ensured in a Mentee Closing Coaching.
mentMAINZ Mentees receive:
- reimbursement of travel costs for meetings with their mentor
- Mentee Group Coachings
- opportunities for reflection within a mentee group no larger than 16 mentees
- early announcements of MAINZ Workshops and MAINZ networking options
- optionally: individual behavioral profiling from one of the world´s leading providers Success Insights