Becoming a mentMAINZ mentee
“I think that the mentMAINZ program is not only useful but also extremely important. What really helped me was that, through my participation in mentMAINZ, I could profit immensely from the experience of others and thus successfully follow my own path. My mentor came from the industrial sector, which enabled me to gain concrete insights into professional life in an industry. I also had a very trustworthy relationship with my mentor, so I could ask her quite openly about things like applications and salary expectations, as well as job interviews. That helped me a lot. I also came to realize how important contacts are. Nowadays, good grades are not enough; you have to start to build your own network very early on. I used my time as a mentMAINZ mentee very actively for this. The support provided by Edeltraud Eller from the Graduate School was very professional and clarified many things; her availability was very helpful in many situations.“Julia Krez, MAINZ Alumna, mentMAINZ mentee
The mentMAINZ Mentee groups start yearly in January.
When is it best to join?
- For you, as a MAINZ student, there is no “best year” to start; this will depend on your personal perspectives.
- For many MAINZ students, the end of the first year at MAINZ seems to be a good time to become a mentMAINZ mentee.
- If you have to decide between an earlier or a later start for your time as a mentee, you should take into account planned secondments as well as your scheduled workload.
Group settlement and your application
- Please submit your letter of motivation (about 1 page) until November 15th the year before the next mentee group starts in January to .
- In November/December, all MAINZ students interested in becoming a mentMAINZ mentee in the following year will be invited to a personal interview with Katrin Klauer.
- Each mentee group has up to 16 mentees.
- In case we need to select mentees from the students interested in becoming a mentee, we will most likely select according to your remaining time at MAINZ, in order to give all students the chance to participate in mentMAINZ. In the unlikely case that we need additional selection criteria, we would select on the basis of the letter of motivation and the interview.
In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the program management ( ).
“For me, the mentoring program was great help in preparing for the job hunt. My mentor helped to identify possible weaknesses in my CV and introduced me to the day-to-day work in industry. He was instrumental in getting me to pursue an internship that got me new contacts and first-hand experience in industry. In a complementary way, the coaching sessions helped to define what I wanted from a future employer.”S., MAINZ PhD student, mentMAINZ mentee
"The mentMAINZ program represented a wonderful kind of support during my doctorate. I received important stimuli from exchanges with fellow students in the events offered by the program, as well as from conversations with my mentor. My perspectives about possible career paths have become more differentiated and my own career planning has thus become more reliable. In particular, I profited greatly from the often informal exchanges, because we could openly discuss issues that concerned most of us but were rarely addressed outside of such a group."Christian, MAINZ PhD student, mentMAINZ mentee