Application is possible throughout the year. Seats will be assigned according to the date of your complete application including reference letters (and project proposal - if applicable).
The MAINZ Selection Committee meeting takes place every two month. There, applicants have the possibility to present their (planned) PhD project. Please note that there is no application fee.
The next Selection Committee Meetings:
- August 31
If you want to apply, please send the following required documents (only PDF-files in upright position will be accepted) as well as up to 3 names of research teams you would like to join to email@example.com. Only 1 file with all documents would be appreciated.
- Motivation letter outlining your research interests, how you intend to pursue those interests and your motivation to apply for a PhD position of the MAINZ Graduate School of Excellence
- Curriculum Vitae
- Bachelor's and Master's degree certificates and certified English or German translations
- University transcripts of Bachelor and Master showing your academic record (lists of courses and individual grades) in the original language as well as certified English or German translations. Please add a certificate about the grading system (i.e. minimum and maximum passing grade) of the University attended if it is not shown on your transcript.
- General Education Diploma or corresponding diploma of your home country (e.g. Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, A-Levels or Matura) and certified English or German translations
- Only required for candidates from abroad: A filled and signed form "Application for the recognition/validation of foreign certificates" (download here)
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS preferred or, for candidates from Germany, a copy of the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife).
- Names of two referees, including their websites and email-addresses, who will be available to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Please note that your supervisor cannot be one of youre referees. Please note that it is your obligation to inform your two referees to submit a filled referee form (download here) and a letter or reference on your behalf directly from their institutional email to us. Should they not have such an email they need to sent a scan of the referee form (as PDF-file) bearing the seal of their host institution and their handwritten signature. References sent from private email accounts (googlemail, yahoo, hotmail etc.) will not be accepted!
- If you have already started your PhD: project proposal (5 pages max.).
After careful evaluation of each application and related references, suitable candidates are invited to MAINZ for an interview and presentation of their previous research work. The Selection Committee evaluates each candidate and afterwards admits the most qualified candidates to the program. Preference in the selection process is given to candidates from outside the host universities, and to projects that are not simple continuations of past work, so as to broaden the exposure to new research areas. Special care is taken to enhance diversity and equal opportunities on all steps of the selection process. MAINZ now offers interviews and admission every other month.