Engaging the Listener in Your Talk
|Intensive 2-day workshop||11 and 12 April 2019|
|Exercise-based learning||9 am until 5 pm|
|12 participants maximum||MAINZ seminar room|
This is an activity-based workshop led by a theatre professional whose expertise is in helping the speaker effectively communicate the importance and relevance of the work and the core message in the talk.
Repetition is a key aspect of the training so that participants can strengthen the narrative, the emotional tone, and the physicality of the talk in order to define and support the speaker’s own dynamic style.
Participants will be required to prepare a 3 to 5 minute pitch or overview of their work incorporating also the use of a slide.
- Concisely introducing yourself: practice your “pitch”
- Engaging the audience in one’s talk
- Affirming the strengths and individual style of the speaker
- Improving body language
- Effectively promoting oneself
- Develop strong tactics for effective communication
- Tailor content to a specified audience
- Structure content effectively
- Improve time management
- Explore a unique presentation style
- Learn stress management techniques
- Develop voice and non-verbal communication tools
- voice and body techniques
- partner work/role-play
- language practice and analysis
- videotaping and feedback
- Perfecting Your “Pitch” (Verbal Business Card)
- Positioning Your Topic Effectively
- Structuring and “Chunking” Your Talk
- Optimizing Professional Language and “Signposting”
- Vocal and Non-Verbal Coaching
- Videotaped Presentation followed by Feedback and Individualized coaching
How you will be working during the Workshop - Workshop Framework
Throughout the workshop, professional input from the trainer will alternate with practical exercises and group discussions of relevant issues. There will be plenty of room for your questions and you will be presenting a 5-minute presentation.
Who should attend - Workshop Participants
This workshop is most useful for scientists, academics and administrators interested in developing and refining their oral communication skills.
Your trainer – Profile + Experiences
Ric Oquita is an expert in kinesthetic communication and presentation techniques. The classically trained actor, dancer and singer and Master of Fine Arts (Cornell University) has been on stage for decades. In addition, he has a wealth of experience in collaborative projects with partners in the health and education sectors and in the art business, which he has organized and carried out. With hundreds of seminars for scientists of all skill levels over the last 10 years, Ric is an expert on sophisticated and compelling communication and presentation. Decades of practice as an actor and theater-maker, the experience of international cooperation projects as well as 10 years trainer and coach in science - Ric Oquita is an expert in kinesthetic communication and presentation techniques.